Friday, August 5, 2011

Review: The Secret Life of Bees

Hey everyone!!
Sorry I haven't posted in such a long time... I have been very busy over this summer! I hope that you all are enjoying the heat... I know I am!!

Anyway, I recently read "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd and I loved it!!
It is a book about a girl, Lily, whose mother ran away when she was a baby and later died and whose father abused her. She leads a very hard life in South Carolina during the time of the Civil Rights Act, until her housekeeper, an outspoken African American named Rosaleen, insults three white racists in town. Before Rosaleen can be killed, Lily runs away with her to the only town she thinks of as refuge- Tiburon, South Carolina. This was the location on a picture that was her mother's, and Lily and Rosaleen are soon taken on a journey together in which they learn of the Black Madonna and find refuge in the home of three African American beekeeping sisters.

"The Secret Life of Bees" is a story of love, friendship, race, religion, adventure, etc. It is a fantastic book that leaves you feeling so happy in the end that you want to read it over and over. Although it is hard at times because the main character's life is so hard, it gets much better as the story progresses and important lessons come from the hardships.

I would highly recommend it!
Thanks for reading!!

~Anne S. 

No comments:

Post a Comment