Thursday, May 9, 2013

Review: Gimme a Call

Hey Readers!
As you can probably tell, we're trying to post more often (again)! I haven't finished any books since my last review, but I've started three: "Let It Snow" by John Green, Lauren Myracle, and Maureen Johnson, "The Book Theif" by Markus Zusak, and "Wicked" by Gregory Maguire. So far, "The Book Theif" is one of the best books I've ever read, and I'm not even halfway through! In any case, I've decided to review a book that I read a few years ago, but never reviewed. At first it seems to only skim the surface of literary goodness, as it's sort of written for young teen girls. But I was so intrigued by the ideas it presented. It's basically about high-school girl who realizes that she has spent all of her time with a not-so-great boyfriend, and lost many friends and opportunities along the way. When she drops her phone in a fountain, it breaks and is only able to call one number: her freshman self. This is the perfect opportunity for her to change her life, but will she take it? I have mixed feelings about this book. On one hand, it's presented as a very juvenile book about high school (the fact that the main character's name is "Devi" doesn't help). On the other hand, the situation is presented so realistically, and who hasn't wondered what it would be like to talk to your younger self? This book brings up so many questions. What would you do? What would you say? I still find myself thinking about the book's premise years later.
Happy Reading!
-Alice

No comments:

Post a Comment