Thursday, May 9, 2013

Review: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society

Hi Guys!

Over last summer, I read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrow. The book is about Guernsey Island, located in the English Channel between Normandy and South England. Guernsey Island is the only part of British soil that was ever occupied by the Nazis and Hitler during WWII. The book tells a historical fiction story of the islanders, and how they managed to endure five years of German occupation. I absolutely adored this book because how realistic it was. By the end of it,  I felt like I knew the characters and I wanted to run over to Guernsey to meet them in person. The stories about their experiences were very touching, not just because they were hard, but because the people of Guernsey were so courageous. Horrible things happened to them, but I wasn't really traumatized reading them. I was, instead, uplifted at their endurance. The title is a little strange but if you can get past that I highly recommend this book!

Keep Reading!

Sara C.


No comments:

Post a Comment