Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Review: A Take on "A Long Long Sleep"

Many of us will read/have read this book, but i would really like the chance to review it. The copy I read is an Advanced Reading Copy ("ARC"), so it hasn't been published yet, and won't be until August this year. But I highly recommend reading it once it becomes available to the public :)
A Long, Long Sleep by Anna Sheehan

    At first, when I saw the cover, it seemed like it would be like "Once Upon a Marigold," or something fantasy to that extent. The cover contains a title with roses wrapping around it. Once I began, I couldn't stop. I definitely recommend it for YA readers, especially those into the new trend that clusters around distopias, aliens, and futuristic time periods. It's one of those books that presents the reader with a confusing situation, and it slowly unrolls right before your eyes as you continue to get deeper and deeper into the story. The basic plot is a sci-fi sleeping beauty, or that's at least what can be deduced from the back. It's about a girl about 50 years from now (I think), who gets "stassed" (I can't tell you what that is, because it gives away some of the plot). But, it basically preserved her life for 50 years and she stayed 18 the whole time. When she wakes up, she has to learn to adjust to the new world where everyone she knew has long since died. Now, I know this might not seem that interesting, but there's also a little romance thrown in there, quite a lot of mystery, action, and uncovered plots. One of the best parts is that it is sort of realistic. They have technology that could easily be invented, or you could see modern America proposing. And the closer to home the story is, the more it touches you. That's what I like about this fantasy, it seems very realistic for something like this to happen in the future, and that really effects my feelings when I read this book.

Happy Reading!
-Alice

No comments:

Post a Comment